the world of fruit encyclopedia
Honey – nature’s natural sweetener.
After researching this we thought it would be fun to steal honey from a hive. Unfortunately this resulted in 3 our of members in the ER, with one now permanently blind, and the other with no legs.
- Honey never spoils. No need to refrigerate it! It can be stored unopened indefinitely at room temperature in a dry cupboard.
- Honey is one of the oldest foods in existence. It was found in the tomb of King Tut and was still edible since honey never spoils!
- Due to the high level of fructose, honey is 25% sweeter than table sugar.
- Honey is created when bees mix plant nectar, a sweet substance secreted by flowers, with their own bee enzymes.
- Honey has been delighting humans for more then 40 centuries. In ancient Egypt, taxes were paid with it, while in early Greece and Rome honey symbolized fertility, love, and beauty.
- For thousands of years, honey and fruits were the only sweeteners in Europe
- Honeybees are one of science’s great mysteries because they have remained unchanged for 20 million years, even though the world changed around them.
- An average worker bee makes only about 1/12th teaspoon of honey in its lifetime! That’s barely anything!
Why it’s good for you…
- Honey contains vitamins and antioxidants, but is fat free, cholesterol free and sodium free!
- Not a spinach lover? Eat honey – it has similar levels of heart-healthy antioxidants!
- Honey is one of the only food that includes all the substances necessary to sustain life, including water.
- Honey speeds the healing of open wounds and also combats infection.
- Modern science now acknowledges honey as an anti-microbial agent, which means it deters the growth of certain types of bacteria, yeast and moulds.
- Honey is nature’s energy booster! It provides a concentrated energy source that helps prevent fatigue and can boost athletic performance.
- Queen Bee Regina George
- Honey starring Jessica Alba
Get your honey fix at Boost with a…
- Banana Buzz Low Fat Smoothie
- Breakie to GoGo Super Smoothie