August 28th, 2011
Oranges. We love our oranges – originating from south-east Asia, we can tip our hats to Columbus who brought the sweet, sweet orange to the New World.
- People in Nepal almost never peel their oranges, but eat them rind and all.
- In Jamaica, people clean their floors with an orange cut in half; mechanics there use oranges to clean away grease and oil.
- Many societies once believed that the worst thing that could happen to an orange tree was the touch of a woman, which – it was believed – would make the foliage wilt and drop.
- The orange is technically a hesperidum, a type of berry.
Why it’s good for you…
Oranges rate highly for their vitamin C content. It’s a primary source of vitamin C in most people’s diet. Not only that, it contains sufficient amounts of folacin, calcium, potassium, thiamine, niacin and magnesium. Most of the consumption of oranges is in the form of juice. Eating the whole fruit provides 130% of the recommended dietary allowance for vitamin C, less than the juice, but more fibre, which is not present in the juice.
- Orange County (OC)
- Clockwork Orange
- Prince of Orange (pwhorrr!)
Get your orange fix at Boost with a…
- Five A Day Juice
- Energiser Juice
- Vita C Detox Juice